Prevention and Treatment of Child Overweight and Obesity
Step 5: Consider coaching from ESI faculty members
ESI faculty members do coaching with established feeding problems, either with professionals or with parents directly. This coaching costs $100 per hour, and will help you properly apply sDOR as well as remain consistent and firm while your child’s eating attitudes and behaviors ever-so-gradually improve. When you have done your reading, thinking, and experimenting, coaching is likely to take between 5 and 10 hours. Because we have found parents get better support when they have in-person help, we prefer to coach professionals who can, in turn, coach you. But professionals who understand and properly apply the Division of Responsibility in feeding are currently a select group, so you may need our direct help. Whether you are a parent or professional, here is what to do to prepare yourself for a consultation.
- Study Ellyn Satter’s Your Child’s Weight: Helping without Harming.
- Read The Overweight Child and The Child Who Eats Too much.
- Feed in the best way for your child’s stage of development.
- Follow the recommendations in the Your Child’s Weight handout.
- Give it some time. Pay attention to what works and what doesn’t. Adjust. Try again. Adjust again.
- Email Us if and when you get stuck. We will send you more information and set you up with a coach.
©2016 by Ellyn Satter published at www.EllynSatterInstitute.org. You may reproduce this article if you don't charge for it or change it in any way and if you do include the for more about and copyright statements.