Treating the Dieting Casualty VISION Workshop
March 18, 19 & 20, 2017
Ellyn Satter, RD, MS, MSSW
Peggy Crum, MA, RD
Workshop limited to 35 participants!
TDC VISIONS trains professionals in the How to Eat method, refined by Ellyn Satter in over 35 years of clinical practice and successfully applied by over 400 professionals who have taken this workshop. Developed in response to the anguish and frustration of patients struggling with their eating and/or weight, the How to Eat method is a systematic, orderly, evidence-based method that replaces distorted eating attitudes and behaviors with Eating Competence.
The Treating the Dieting Casualty VISIONS workshop shows you how to help
Dieting casualties present themselves for weight loss and, at the same time, present professionals with a conundrum. These folks have been on many diets, have lost and regained weight many times, and generally get heavier each go-round. While they know a great deal about food selection and menu planning, they can’t apply it. They are so burned out on dieting that they can’t follow special diets, even for urgent medical reasons. Psychotherapy helps address life issues, but it doesn’t correct distorted eating attitudes and behaviors. The bottom line: another, better diet isn’t the answer.
- The primary target population is chronic dieters who are relatively healthy, socially and emotionally. You will also be shown how to apply How to Eat to extreme picky adult eating and other eating maladies.
- Individuals who successfully complete the How to Eat intervention are tuned in, orderly, relaxed, and positive about eating. They eat based on internal regulators, stabilize body weight, and are able to begin accepting and coping with issues relative to elevated weight.
- With further training, the How to Eat method can be used for treating some patients with eating disorders. However, eating disorders will not be the focus of this workshop.
Learning objectives for Treating the Dieting Casualty VISIONS workshop
Upon successful completion of this 3-day course, you will be able to:
- Cite literature addressing the theoretical underpinnings and evidence for the Satter eating competence model and a weight-neutral approach to health.
- State the theoretical basis of treatment.
- Consider the childhood antecedents of eating distortion in assessment and treatment.
- Differentiate among primary, secondary, and tertiary intervention in addressing adult eating problems as well as identify distinctions between education and psychotherapy.
- Enact secondary intervention by completing a thorough assessment of clients.
- Understand and apply biopsychosocial principles in planning and implementing treatment based on cognitive and behavioral modification.
- Address the emotional components of eating.
Will you benefit from attending?
- Are you an experienced professional who works with people who have established and entrenched distortions in eating attitudes and behaviors?
- Do you work in health, mental health, or education?
- Are you looking for training in behavioral intervention that doesn’t require your going back to graduate school?
- Are you very familiar with the Satter Eating Competence Model and the Satter Feeding Dynamics Model?
- Are you willing and able to do reading and self-study to prepare for this workshop:
- Read Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family, Parts 1 and 2, plus appendixes
- Satter Eating Competence Model Webcast Series on CD
- Compete the Overview reading and activities on the ecSatter Self-Study page
Logistical Information for Treating the Dieting Casualty Workshop
- Dates: March 18, 19 & 20, 2017
- 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily with a 90 minute late lunch break (on your own). Morning break with provided snacks, beverages provided all day.
- Contact hours: Twenty hours of continuing education. Certificates of completion awarded
- Register! Fee for 3-day Treating the Dieting Casualty VISIONS workshop: $650 including workshop manual and handouts. Full refund if cancellation request is received by February 24, 2017; $50 cancellation fee after February 28.
- For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meeting location & lodging. Blocks of rooms have been reserved for the workshop participants until four weeks before the meeting. Ask for Ellyn Satter Institute.
2969 Cahill Main
Fitchburg, WI 53711
Tel: (608) 274-7200
What others have said
“This is a forum to change the lives of many unhappy people.” RD
“This training has helped me get back to nutrition. I had been thinking that to work in the way I wanted, I would have to get a counseling or mental health degree. Now I can help with eating behaviors with- out having to leave the profession.” Public Health Nutritionist
“As a mental health professional, this is the missing piece I’ve been searching for in working with my clients. I only wish I’d learned your methods years earlier. What a difference it would have made in my own growth!” Psychotherapist in private practice
“I now know how to plan treatment and am much more likely to follow through with my patients. We made our investment in the workshop back in the first two months.” RD eating disorders specialist in medical clinic